21 January 2011


I've been helping to transcribe some parish records from a church in Somerset, England. I'll admit that I am hoping that an ancestor or two might turn up (there seem to be a number of branches of the family from Somerset, including one parish where some of my ancestors and some of my husband's ancestors lived at the same time) but am also just enjoying viewing copies of the original documents.

Starting back in 1726, this particular register begins in a gothic style hand, and has progressed to a more copperplate style of writing in the years we are currently transcribing.

I've done a little bit of calligraphy in my time so I thought I should be able to decipher most of the gothic writing. But I was completely baffled by a squiggle that seems to have been used as a spacer (or perhaps a comma?) in between words - see between "Nov" and "3", also between "John" and "Son"...

Can anyone tell me what it is?


  1. There has been a suggestion on a forum that I am on that the squiggle may be "Ye". Any thoughts?

  2. xtremely exceptionally intriguing and extremely important data about the crisis Locksmith Brisbane Northside well done.